Dr Rob Saunders and Dr James Ellison of QMUL School of History brought together more than 30 high profile academics, politicians and policymakers for a one day conference placing the current EU referendum debate in its historical context. Funded by the ESRC’s UK in a Changing Europe fund and hosted at the British Academy, the conference included a keynote address from Rt Hon David Lidington, Minister for Europe.
Conference programme and videos:
- Renegotiation strategy: then and now
- Why did Britain join the EEC? A Revisionist View
- Why has Europe been such a difficult subject for Britain?
- What are the lessons of the 1974-5 renegotiations?
- A Majority Attained by Fraud? The Government Information Unit and the 1975 Referendum
- What can we learn from the 1975 campaign?
- Lessons from the 1975 business campaign
- What is the Role of Business in Britain's Relations with the EU?